Lydgate is located
on a hillside ridge boasting fantastic panoramic views across Oldham and Manchester.
The village, which merges down the hill with Grasscroft was mostly built during the 18th century.
As always it
was the transportation routes which sparked the creation of the village,
with houses appearing, first on the old packhouse route of Quickedge
Lane and then on the turnpike road, which is now Stockport
Road. The White Hart drew its first trade from users of the turnpike
road running alongside over 200 years ago.
church was built at the end of the eighteenth century in the preaching
house style. The steep pitched roof and clock tower were added in
1911. The difference in stone work and style between the tower and
original walls is still apparent today.
opposite the church, was built in the late eighteenth century and
was in use until the school relocated to new accommodation in the
1960s. The building is still in use as a private nursery and infant school today.